Pages

Bible Study Playlist

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

PostPartum Depression


Hey guys and welcome to March.  I can't believe that March is here already, but that means that for us people who live in the north that the spring weather is just around the corner and hopefully we will get some warmer weather soon.  This month I'm going to be talking about mental health issues, that people face all the time, and my ways that I deal with them.  I am not a doctor, so don't take it like I have all the answers, but I'm just here to share my experiences and to make this blog an inviting place to share your stories and become friends.  Today we are going to talk about postpartum depression, which is a silent topic or a taboo topic, but should be brought to the surface because a lot of mothers face this issue and it can be a lonely place.


What is postpartum depression?

     -Postpartum depression is usually triggered by what people call "baby blues."  After you have a baby, sometimes you can just feel overwhelmed and just down and not yourself.  You feel like crying, you feel sad, you feel like you can't get out of bed, even though that now since your a mom, you really need to.  It can last for a long time.

My Story
    -When I had my son, I was fine for a few months, but then we started to get told that he had some medical issues, and not just a little but a lot.  We were always taking him to the doctor, and I felt really sad.  I got to one point where I didn't want to hold him, or be around him, because I just was sad.  I was overwhelmed with everything I had to do.  Now, you might think, ok that sounds like depression, but the main difference is...depression is usually triggered from every day life, where as postpartum is triggered from becoming a parent and realizing that you now have another human being that you are responsible for, on top of everything else you have going on in your life.  I'm not completely over it, but I can say that I can  live my life better.  I love my son, I love playing with him and watching him learn new things, and just being around him, because he is such a happy child.

Ways that helped me cope


      1) Recognize that I had it. 

                 - I went to see my doctor, who talked to me about this, and said that a lot of mothers deal with this.  It's completely normal and it's nothing to be ashamed of.
      2) Find enjoyment in your child or children.
                 -Everyday I find something that I love about my child. That might sound stupid because you are supposed to love your children all the time, but as moms, sometimes we have to take a step back and find what it is about that child that makes us get out of bed everyday and be the best parent we can be.  The one thing about my child is his smile.  He is so happy and just makes everyone around him happy and smile, and I love that about him.  I hope that he never loses that happiness inside of him because it's so precious.
      3) Take care of yourself.
                 -Taking care of yourself as a mother is very important.  You want to make sure you are the healthiest, happiest, best mother you can be to your child because they depend on you.  Alot of the times, we mothers, put ourselves last and we forget about our own happiness, but we need our time.  I've started to take time for myself everyday.  I ask my husband or my parents to take Liam for a few hours or 10 minutes, so that I can be by myself, whether that is to write, or read, or sing or play my piano or do yoga, or watch a movie or a tv show or just to sit and breathe and listen to music.  Whatever it is, it's my time for me.  It's my way of taking care of myself so I can be happy and take care of my child.
       4) Talk to  friends or family members about it.
                   -Talking can really help.  If you know any other mothers who have gone through this, they can really help you seek help or atleast find your happiness again.  Even if all they do is text you for an hour or so and talk to you, that can really help and lift your spirits.  Don't be afraid to tell them what has been going on with you, so they can be there to help out if you need it.
      5) Get medical help.
                 -Medical help is not always a bad thing.  There are some people out there that need that in order for them to deal with it and that is ok.  Personally I don't like taking medications, so I try natural ways to deal, but if you really can't find those natural ways or if they are not helping, seek professional medical help and be there for your child or children.
     6) Enjoy life.
                 -Find something in life that you enjoy and embrace it.  Life is precious and it's short and it should be enjoyed with your family and friends.  Don't be afraid to do spontaneous things with your kids....they will appreciate it when they get older.  But be happy and live life.


That's all for this one.  I hope you all got something out of it, and if there are any moms out there, who have suffered from this and you feel ok with sharing your stories, please do....It's something that is so silent and we want to help those out there and let you know that you are not alone in this.



Reference:


http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/postpartum-depression/basics/definition/con-20029130

No comments:

Post a Comment