Understanding when to free your mind and nurture your soul, I feel is crucial in living and loving a life you created. This year has all been about my journey of self-discovery and loving my life. I’ve been noticing how much our souls need our attention. However before you can begin to nurture your soul, you need to learn how to free your mind from everything that is stressful and distracting.
Your mind is a complex piece of equipment as we all know. There are so many things going on all at the same time, and there is only so much that it can hold before it becomes a puzzle; scrambled, jumbled into a million pieces, floating like a ship in space. The only way to make sense of it all or anything for that matter is by letting your mind be free. So today I’m going to share 5 tips or ways that I’ve wanted to practice, or that I really want to do, or that I’ve already done, that will help you do just that.
1. Plan a retreat. I’ve always wanted to do this, and this year, I’ve noticed that I’ve really been wanting to do this. I’ve had a rough past few years, and I just wasn’t happy with who I was, which I will get into in another post, and is why I named this blog “It is well, with my soul,” and is also why I’ve been thinking of writing a book, on this very topic and my journey. But anyway, planning a retreat can help you just clear the clutter and the stress from your mind, and let you release and absorb the peace that you need to live your life.
2. Get out in nature. I love doing this. I love walking and sitting by a stream and just taking in the fresh air and listening to the birds and all the animals that are out there. It brings me back to reality, with the realization that things are going to be ok.
3. Write everything. Writing everything can make you feel so much better. Just taking a notebook, or your phone or something, and jotting down how you are feeling or what you hear or whatever, can instantly lift a weight from your shoulders. This is one of my favorite ways to free my mind.
4. Spend time with friends and family. Ok so for all of you social butterflies out there, this one is for you. Go out and have fun with friends and family members. It is so nice to just take a day and go shopping, or to an amusement park, or to a regular park or just out to breakfast, lunch or dinner and chill. Who says you have to have your crap together? No one, just go have fun, and when you get back, make sure your mind is clear and ready for the next day or week ahead.
5. Relax your mind. Let your mind be still and your soul soak it all in. It is ok to just take a minute and sit there. Or ask your boss if you can have 2 minutes to collect your thoughts, or if you can just sit in silence. Sometimes all we need to do is to reassure ourselves that life is going to be ok... we just need to just relax our minds. Just like our minds, our souls need to be nurtured as well, which is why I feel these two elements go hand in hand. One of the best ways to do this is by meditation. I know some people are not into this, but it is a really great practice to start. Just put on some Zen music, or I use instrumental classical or piano music for this and my yoga sessions and I just sit there with my eyes closed. I let my mind relax, releasing all of the stress, worry, anger, whatever out and letting my mind be still. By doing that, I can let my soul soak everything in. You can do this outside, I love doing that, because I can be with nature, but if you don’t want to, just do it in your bedroom, or wherever there is peace and quiet in your home, and relax.
-When you look at the title, how do you feel? Is your mind free, have you taken time out of your week or day to nurture your soul, or is it still cluttered?
Let me know what your thoughts are in the comments below, and also what do you think about me writing a book about this topic and my journey. I am going to be 27 years old, so this very interesting to me and is a journey.